Butler Giraudo & Meister
Peoria 309-407-3332
Morton 309-263-1204

Paying support for child's college education

Generally, child support payments stop when a child reaches the age of 18 and is considered an adult. However, Illinois allows a divorced parent to file for college expenses, asking their ex-spouse to help support their child through college. This is especially relevant if the child likely would have had access to college education if their parents had not divorced. The amount a child can receive will depend on a number of factors.

What expenses are considered?

College is a big investment, but the amount of support your child will require is highly dependent on your situation and what schools are options. Court will take the child's college preferences into consideration when determining support, but their choices must be reasonable in relation to your and your ex-spouse's financial abilities.

For example, if your child wants to study out-of-state at an Ivy League school when an in-state alternative offers a similar and very respectable program for a much more affordable cost, there would have to be ample evidence that the out-of-state option is different and has benefits that the in-state school does not.

Expenses included in a parent's support payments may cover not only tuition but also textbooks, transportation, insurance/health expenses, room and board and other necessary fees.

How is college support decided?

How much each parent must contribute is based on income, assets and ex-spouse's income if they remarried. The child's ability to contribute financially is a factor as well. If a parent was paying child support when the child was a minor, they are assumed to be able to continue paying support for college unless their situation has significantly changed. The previously non-paying spouse may be required to contribute a higher amount or contribute in the first place if they are now remarried and supported by their new spouse or if they have significant assets that could help pay for college.

Court will take any of the child's scholarships, financial aid and jobs, or potential to get a job, into account. Court may find that a child is obligated to assist his or her parents with college payments, depending on the scope of the expenses and any help from scholarships or aid. A child with no scholarships or financial aid to decrease tuition cost has a higher likelihood of needing to help with payments.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • I cannot even express in words the level of gratitude that I feel. ‘Thank you’ doesn't seem to be enough. Please know that your services and compassion will never be forgotten! I am forever grateful!

  • Thank you so much for your hard work and expertise. I feel as a father in the state of Illinois that what I am trying to achieve is nearly impossible. I am so glad I chose to have your office full of extremely intelligent women represent me.

  • We would like to say thank you for your expertise, education, and kindness when we met with you! Your confidence has helped to comfort us and give us hope that resolution of the issue is possible.

  • I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your time, energy, and efforts you put into our case. Thank you for helping make our son's quality of life better. I cannot tell you how happy we are!

More Testimonials
Contact Us Today

Contact Our Lawyers About All Areas Of Family Law

We are driven and committed to a successful outcome for all of our clients. To arrange a consultation with attorney Susan Butler, Kelly Giraudo or Tamara Meister, call 309-263-1204 (Morton) or 309-407-3332 (Peoria). You can also contact our law firm by filling out the form below. With offices in both Peoria and Morton, we work hard for our clients while getting to know them as people.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Morton Office
100 S. Main Street
Morton, IL 61550

Toll Free: 888-314-9667
Phone: 309-263-1204
Morton Law Office Map

Peoria Office
110 SW Jefferson Street
Suite 410
Peoria, IL 61602

Toll Free: 888-314-9667
Phone: 309-407-3332
Peoria Law Office Map

Morton Office Peoria Office