Butler Giraudo & Meister
Peoria 309-407-3332
Morton 309-263-1204

Rights of Unmarried Fathers

For a father, maintaining a relationship with his child after the divorce can be difficult. The younger the child, the more weight is given to the mother's role in the child's development. Things are even more difficult for unmarried fathers, who have few parental rights. In the past, it used to be quite easy for the birthmother to prevent the biological father from establishing a legal relationship with his child. Today, however, even unmarried fathers have several means of establishing their rights to the child in front of the law. Declaring paternity refers to legal establishment of the male parentage of a child. Paternity can be established by filing an acknowledgment with the state vital records department.

The acknowledgment has to be signed by both the parents to be valid. If the mother has some objections, the case needs to be brought before the court. There the judge will determine the extent of the father's claims over the child. A blood sample or DNA test will be used to settle the matter, before determining issues regarding visitation and custody. If you and the child's mother were married at the time of the child's birth, you will be declared the father of the child. If you were unmarried but can establish paternity, you can seek custody rights to the child. This will allow you to make decisions with regard to the child's welfare and upbringing. Physical custody can also be awarded to the unmarried father just as easily as the mother. In the eyes of the law, both are equal.

If you are the mother are on agreeable terms, you can come up with your own arrangement regarding custody. If the parents, don't agree, the judge will look at many factors to decide custody issues keeping the child's best interests in mind. The decision will be based on a number of factors relating to the kind of life the father leads. This includes his physical and emotional health, stability, relationship with the child and the ability to provide for the child.

Both the parents have the right to have a hand in raising the child. If the father doesn't get primary custody, he can visit the child on a regular basis. In some cases, courts can restrict parental rights. This occurs when there is a history of domestic violence, neglect or abuse on the part of the father. Once the court draws up a custody agreement, it is not possible for the mother to refuse to accept the terms of visitation and custody. In case of resistance, the father can bring the matter up before the court. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • I cannot even express in words the level of gratitude that I feel. ‘Thank you’ doesn't seem to be enough. Please know that your services and compassion will never be forgotten! I am forever grateful!

  • Thank you so much for your hard work and expertise. I feel as a father in the state of Illinois that what I am trying to achieve is nearly impossible. I am so glad I chose to have your office full of extremely intelligent women represent me.

  • We would like to say thank you for your expertise, education, and kindness when we met with you! Your confidence has helped to comfort us and give us hope that resolution of the issue is possible.

  • I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your time, energy, and efforts you put into our case. Thank you for helping make our son's quality of life better. I cannot tell you how happy we are!

More Testimonials
Contact Us Today

Contact Our Lawyers About All Areas Of Family Law

We are driven and committed to a successful outcome for all of our clients. To arrange a consultation with attorney Susan Butler, Kelly Giraudo or Tamara Meister, call 309-263-1204 (Morton) or 309-407-3332 (Peoria). You can also contact our law firm by filling out the form below. With offices in both Peoria and Morton, we work hard for our clients while getting to know them as people.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Morton Office
100 S. Main Street
Morton, IL 61550

Toll Free: 888-314-9667
Phone: 309-263-1204
Morton Law Office Map

Peoria Office
110 SW Jefferson Street
Suite 410
Peoria, IL 61602

Toll Free: 888-314-9667
Phone: 309-407-3332
Peoria Law Office Map

Morton Office Peoria Office