An Ally For Caregivers And Families In Central Illinois

Guardianship proceedings are often used to obtain legal recognition of a relationship that already exists. Recent developments in guardianship law require that an accurate assessment of the case be made, and that there be aggressive advocacy.

Our family law attorneys serve clients in Peoria, Tazewell and Woodford Counties and throughout Central Illinois. As certified guardians ad litem, they have extensive experience representing children and disabled adults in court proceedings. Understanding the court’s point of view helps us effectively represent people who wish to take on the role of guardian or parent.

We also take the time to understand your point of view. We take pride in the relationships we develop with our clients. Working side by side with you, we will help you secure the legal rights you need to protect and care for those you love.

Guardianship Proceedings On Behalf Of Minors

We represent clients who desire to be appointed guardians of minors. If you are temporarily taking care of a grandchild or the child of a relative, becoming the child’s guardian will give you the legal authority to make medical and educational decisions for the child. Once you have been appointed guardian, you will likely be able to obtain group medical insurance for the child. You will also have authority to enroll the child in school, consent to medical treatment and to make all the necessary decisions for the child’s well-being.

Pekin Lawyer Handling Guardianship Of A Disabled Adult

As parents age or disabled children near adulthood, many people find themselves in a difficult position. These loved ones require care and help making financial, health care and other personal decisions.

If your parent did not designate you as his or her agent under a durable power of attorney and then becomes incapacitated, you will need to go through the court process to become your parent’s guardian in order to handle his or her personal and financial affairs. A far less costly — and much more private and personal alternative to the guardianship process — is for a parent to sign a durable power of attorney for health care while still competent. Our attorneys can assist you and your elderly relatives in preparing these documents.

If your disabled child is close to turning 18, you will need to seek guardianship so you can continue to provide the care and support your child needs. It is never too early to plan for a potential need. Making your own choices, rather than leaving the health or finances on your loved ones to chance, makes sense.

Guardianship And Adoption Consultation

To arrange a consultation with one of our attorneys, call 309-263-1204 (Morton) or 309-407-3332 (Peoria), or complete the contact form on this site.