Tazewell County Paternity Lawyer


There are numerous legal issues for unmarried parents who bring a child into the world. Whether you are the mother or the father, it is important to seek competent legal advice with respect to your parental rights. Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place, as an experienced Tazewell County paternity lawyer here at Butler, Giraudo & Meister, P.C. is ready to help. Continue reading and contact our firm to learn more about how we can guide you through every step of the legal process ahead.

Tazewell County Paternity Lawyer | Experienced In Parentage Cases For Mothers and Fathers

Butler Giraudo & Meister, P.C. is a family law firm serving clients in Tazewell County and throughout Central Illinois. We have significant experience handling parentage cases (formerly known as paternity actions) for mothers and fathers who have children while unmarried. We help our clients secure parental rights and obtain the financial support needed to raise their children. An experienced Tazewell County child custody lawyer right here at our firm is here to help.

Issues Confronting An Unmarried Mother

One of the biggest concerns for an unmarried mother is securing financial support for her child. Having the father’s name on the birth certificate is not enough; the father isn’t legally required to pay child support until there is an order entered with the court establishing parentage. We can help you through this process so you can get the financial support your child needs.

Additionally, many unmarried mothers assume they have sole parental responsibilities for their children. Even if the father signs a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity (VAP), the mother’s rights are only presumed and can be challenged by the father in the future. It is important to seek allocation of parental responsibilities as soon as possible in order to establish your rights as a parent.

Issues Confronting An Unmarried Father

It is common for an unmarried father to sign the child’s birth certificate at the hospital when the child is born. Many who do so mistakenly believe nothing further is necessary in order to ensure their rights as the child’s father; however, voluntarily signing a birth certificate or VAP does not give an unmarried father any parental rights or time with the child.

In order to establish parental rights, an unmarried father must establish in court that a parent/child relationship exists. Once the court enters an order declaring the unmarried father to be the legal parent of the child, an order can be entered which typically sets forth the parenting time and holiday schedule, and makes other financial arrangements for the benefit of the child.

The fact that the father has signed the birth certificate does not mean that child support will automatically start for the mother. Legal proceedings are necessary to ensure that the needs of the child and both parents are fully addressed.

Establishing Legal Parentage

Parentage can be established in family court fairly quickly if the two parents do not dispute the identity of the father. If there is a dispute, then paternity will be established by means of a court-ordered DNA test.

Once parentage is legally established, the parents can request relief for themselves and their child, such as:

  • Financial arrangements for the payment of child support, daycare expenses and medical expenses
  • Allocation of parental rights (child custody) and parenting time (visitation)

When you retain Butler Giraudo & Meister, P.C., you will meet personally with a lawyer who will handle your parentage case from beginning to end. Whether paternity is contested or not, your attorney will serve as an advocate for your interests and those of your children.

Contact a Tazewell County Paternity Lawyer

There are numerous issues and potential problems involved in parentage cases. It is essential for unmarried parents to receive sound legal advice as they seek to do what is best for their children. Contact Butler, Giraudo & Meister, P.C. today to schedule your initial consultation with our experienced legal team.

Read Our

Recent Blogs

What if I Can’t Afford to Pay Child Support?

If you cannot afford to pay child support in accordance with your current agreement, you need to act quickly. A backlog of missed payments…

Read More
How Can I Prove Substance Abuse in a Divorce Case?

Being married to someone with a substance abuse problem can be draining and dangerous. When you get out of that situation by divorcing them,…

Read More
What if I Can’t Afford to Pay Alimony?

If you end up in a situation where you can no longer afford to pay alimony, you need to act quickly. Just stopping the…

Read More

Contact Us Today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Group of attorneys