Can you be sent to jail for failing to pay child support?

Can you be sent to jail for failing to pay child support?

Child support is determined with the use of a formula in Illinois. The amount of money a parent is ordered to provide for child support is directly tied to the parent’s income and number of children. For example, a parent in Illinois would typically be ordered to pay 20 percent of his or her net income to support one child and 28 percent to support two children. However, the child support formula is a guideline rather than a hard and fast rule.

In some cases, a court may consider other factors in order to arrive at an appropriate child support order. It is very important for Peoria area residents to work with their attorneys to achieve reasonable child support arrangements; the failure to comply with child support orders can result in serious consequences.

Last month, the Leader-Telegram reported that a Chicago man is facing felony charges for failing to pay child support to the tune of about $100,000. The 45-year-old man reportedly was ordered to pay child support in 2007 for his two children. About three years later, he was found in contempt of the order and a judge ordered him to pay $100 more per month than what was originally ordered.

While this case is somewhat extreme, it is not uncommon for parents to fall behind on their child support obligations. Any number of issues can lead a parent into arrears, and this can result in a driver’s license suspension, fines and interest charges, and even jail time.

If you are having trouble honoring your child support orders due to a job loss or another significant financial change, it may be wise to talk to an attorney about obtaining a modified order, which can allow you to remain in good legal standing. Those who need assistance enforcing child support orders may also benefit from legal guidance.

Source: Leader-Telegram, ” Chicago man owes $100k in overdue child support,” April 26, 2014

Read Our

Recent Blogs

Gray Divorce | What to Know About Divorce Later in Life

If you and your spouse of many years are facing a divorce later in life, you may be entering what is known as a…

Read More
High Net Worth Divorce in Illinois | What to Know

If you are facing a high net worth divorce, it is important to understand that your upcoming legal process requires a special level of…

Read More
Divorce as a Business Owner | What to Expect

As a business owner, you would do anything to protect your business, especially when it comes to a divorce. To learn more about divorce…

Read More

Contact Us Today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.