Do You Still Pay Alimony if an Ex Remarries in Illinois?

If you need help modifying or terminating your alimony payments, please read on, then contact an experienced Tazewell County alimony lawyer to learn if you still have to pay alimony if your ex gets remarried in Illinois.

Does Illinois have permanent alimony?

Yes, the Prairie State does have a system for permanent alimony, wherein one spouse provides payments to the dependent spouse for the remainder of either spouse’s lifetime or until other conditions are met. However, it should be noted that receiving an award of permanent alimony is rare. In some instances, you may have to pay for an indefinite period, such as in the case of reimbursement alimony, but generally, alimony payments have a cutoff point.

Does alimony terminate after an ex remarries in Illinois?

As it so happens, your former spouse need not go so far as to remarry in order for his or her alimony award to be terminated. If the court agrees that your former spouse is cohabitating, the judge can terminate alimony. To determine if a former spouse is cohabitating, a judge will need to weigh the following factors:

  • The length of the relationship
  • How much time the couple spends together
  • The nature of activities the couple engages in
  • The interrelation of their personal affairs, i.e. joint accounts, they contribute jointly to pay bills, have purchased property together, et cetera
  • Whether the couple vacations together
  • Whether the couple spends holidays together

If your former spouse has remarried, or you suspect he or she is cohabitating with someone else, you should reach out to a skilled Tazewell County family law attorney to discuss your next steps.

How can a Tazewell County divorce attorney help you?

Whether your former spouse has remarried or is suspected of cohabitating with another person, a qualified legal representative will help you uncover the necessary evidence – in the form of joint leases or a letter from their landlord stating that they live at the address, joint utility bills, individual utility bills and letters addressed to both of them at the same address, et cetera – and present it to the court in order to modify or terminate your alimony payments. If your former spouse has developed a supportive relationship with someone else, he or she is no longer legally dependent upon you. Our firm will apprise you of your rights and responsibilities as well as provide effective guidance so as to maximize your likelihood of success. Let us handle the legal work. Please give us a call today.

Contact Our Experienced Illinois Firm

At Butler, Giraudo & Meister, P.C., our divorce lawyer will help you navigate the divorce or family law matter you are facing. We provide effective and compassionate legal counsel for the following legal matters: divorce, alimony, division of marital assets, child custody, and child support. Contact us today.

Read Our

Recent Blogs

What You Need to Know About Annulment Laws in Illinois

There are conditions that disqualify a marriage in the state of Illinois that will allow you to open up the opportunity for an annulment…

Read More
The Pros and Cons of Mediated, Collaborative, and Litigated Divorce Processes

There is no one-size-fits-all divorce process, but rather, choosing amongst the mediated, collaborative, and litigated divorce processes depends on the personal situations of each…

Read More
Factoring in Your Child’s Best Interest for Custody Arrangements

Illinois courts make their decisions on child custody based on relevant laws, statutes, and case law, but mostly, they look at what they deem…

Read More

Contact Us Today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.