What information do you need when you file for divorce?

When you file for divorce in Illinois, you’ll need to give your attorney a clear picture of your financial situation. This means gathering extensive documentation about you and your estranged spouse’s income, properties and assets. Gathering these documents can be a time-consuming process, but it’s the best way to make sure that you get a fair share of the assets.

What documents do you need for your divorce proceedings?

During your divorce trial, your divorce attorney will need to know about the properties that you and your estranged spouse own. You’ll need to get titles and registrations for all the vehicles that you own even if your name isn’t officially on the documents. You may still be entitled to a share of these assets regardless of who bought them. Similarly, you’ll need to gather documentation about houses, businesses and other properties that you or your estranged spouse bought during your marriage.

You may be surprised to learn that you’ll also have to gather information about your debts. Debts can be divided up just like assets, although your attorney could help you avoid ending up with your estranged spouse’s debts. Your debts could include mortgages, car loans, credit card debts, personal loans, student loans and anything else that you have on your record. This includes debts that aren’t in your name or debts that you and your estranged spouse own jointly.

You’ll also need to gather information about you and your estranged spouse’s income. This could include pay stubs, tax returns, bank statements and anything else that your lawyer needs to know. Your income level could affect your eligibility for spousal support or a larger share of the assets.

How do you know which documents you need?

Collecting documents during divorce proceedings tends to be overwhelming. Fortunately, your attorney could tell you exactly what he or she needs to get a clear picture of your finances. A lawyer could help you collect documents and obtain information from your estranged spouse. With this information, your attorney could figure out how to negotiate for a fair division of your marital assets.

Read Our

Recent Blogs

What if I Can’t Afford to Pay Child Support?

If you cannot afford to pay child support in accordance with your current agreement, you need to act quickly. A backlog of missed payments…

Read More
How Can I Prove Substance Abuse in a Divorce Case?

Being married to someone with a substance abuse problem can be draining and dangerous. When you get out of that situation by divorcing them,…

Read More
What if I Can’t Afford to Pay Alimony?

If you end up in a situation where you can no longer afford to pay alimony, you need to act quickly. Just stopping the…

Read More

Contact Us Today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Group of attorneys